Black Mold, also sometimes referred to as toxic mold, is the common name for a mold known by its scientific name as Starchybotrys chartarum (we know, it’s a mouthful). Like one might infer from the name, Mold can be extremely dangerous to both people and animals and is one of the most infamous molds because it loves to grow inside your home.
Mold can lead to superficial infections on the skin or in mucus layered areas such as nasal cavities, these are common areas for mold infection.
Common occurrences include tinea pedis (athlete’s foot), tinea onychomycosis (nail infection), tinea cruris (jock itch), tinea corporis (dry body skin). Fortunately, there are many different ways to get rid of mold.
Probably the most thought of solution when considering how to get rid of mold.
Spray, or apply with a rag to the mold, not too heavily. Wait a 5 minutes (longer for stubborn situations), then scrub with a brush, rag, or other somewhat abrasive tool, being careful not to scratch or destroy the material that you are trying to protect. Wipe clean with a damp rag.
Vinegar is a natural alternative to bleach or other strong chemicals. It is not toxic and is won’t harm the environment.
Spray or apply with a rag to the mold, not too heavily. Wait 10-15 minutes, then spray or apply again and scrub with a brush, rag, or other somewhat abrasive tool, being careful not to scratch or destroy the material that you are trying to protect. Wipe clean with a damp rag.
Baking Soda is a convenient solution to mold problems. It is inexpensive, helps prevent future mold growth, and deodorizes.
Spray area thoroughly and wipe with rag or scrub with appropriate semi-abrasive tool. Wipe away. Spray lightly again with the baking soda-water solution,and let dry thoroughly, the solution will naturally discourage new mold growth.
Hydrogen Peroxide has multiple benefits in addition to mold removal. It also kill viruses and bacteria. It also penetrates the surface of material better than bleach, which makes it good for materials like fabric and wood.
Put in spray bottle (keep out of light). Spray heavily on mold and let sit for at least 10 minutes, preferably longer. Scrub the area and wipe down. If its a fabric, place it outside in the sun to dry.
Borax is the un-sung hero of mold removal. It is natural, inexpensive, and doesn’t produce toxic fumes. It is also effective at killing germs.
Apply the solution to the offending area, be careful not to use too much on a porous material that absorbs water, this will saturate the material and can cause other moisture problems. Scrub area with rag or somewhat abrasive material, such as a scrub brush until mold is removed. The level of abrasive material depends on the surface you are working with. For example, you might use a rag for leather or furniture, and a scrub brush for concrete or grout. Wipe area clean and dry the area. No need to rinse the area because borax inhibits any new growth. This is how to get rid of mold permanently, or at least delay its reappearance for a longer time.